Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Knotted Blanket Tutorial

Hi Friends & Bloggers!

This weekend I made my soon-to-be 3 yr old nephew a birthday present. His current loves in life consist of Thomas the Train (anything to do with trains really), Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and CARS. Not just any cars, but characters from the movie, CARS, especially Lightning McQueen!

So when the hubby and I went shopping the weekend after Thanksgiving and I saw CARS fleece fabric on sale at Hobby Lobby, the hubby had a great idea for me to make my nephew a blanket for his upcoming bday! Ahh...my crafty ways are rubbing off on the hubs! I love it! :)

So I snatched up about 1 - 1 1/2 yds of the CARS fabric and 1 1-2 yds of red fabric for the reverse side to color coordinate. 

If any of you are not familiar with knot blankets, they're incredibly simple, but make awesome gifts! And in this case, can be personalized if you find the right fabric!

So here's how the project went and a tutorial to make your own! 

STEP 1:
 
Tools
1-1 1/2 yds of two pieces of fabric
Good scissors
Ruler

STEP 2:
Align your pieces of fabric on top of each other with the back sides facing in
Trim any excess to have them match as close as possible

STEP 3:
Cut a 3 1/2-4 inch square out of each corner
this helps prevent bunching later on

STEP 4:
Cut approx. 1-inch wide strips about 3 1/2-4 inch deep
around each side of the blanket. Be sure to cut deep enough so there's 
plenty of room to tie double knots later

STEP 5:
Tie double knots all the way around the blanket
Double knots prevent it from coming apart during washes

STEP 6:
You're Finished!

The CARS knotted blanket for my nephew turned out awesome and I'm so excited for him to see it! 
Now it's time to try your own! Good luck!!

Sincerely, Brit





1 comment:

sgrmse. said...

TOO COOL! thanks for sharing (:

happy 2013. looking forward to more awesome tutorials.