Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Has Social Media Made Reunions Irrelevant?

With all the social media outlets at our fingertips today, everything from Twitter to Facebook, is there even a need for organized reunions anymore? I was driving home from work the other day and realized I've been out of high school for (wait...showing my age here again) just about 8 years now so technically our 10 year reunion would be coming up in 2 years. Not sure if we're having one, but it got me thinking...are reunions even necessary or relevant these days?

Before social media came about, reunions were the one way to bring together everyone from a particular group to reunite, unless you used the good old phone tree method to gather some friends from your past. But at a reunion, you'd be forced to go as that was the only way to see what everyone's been up to and see those old friends you'd missed so much! But these days, isn't that where Facebook comes in handy? Now we can constantly know what our friends, and even other people, are up to instead of having to wait 5, 10, or 20 yrs for a reunion. So, what's the point of reunions anymore? Are they necessary? I think not. Facebook allows us to stay in contact with the people we WANT to and we can organize a get together with a group of them anytime we want. Since I've kind of grown up with internet, AIM, AOL, and then Facebook coming about in college, I can't imagine not being so in contact with all of my favorite people, can you? Think about all of the people you wouldn't be nearly as close with or in contact without social media. It's crazy. Another positive: we'll never have to endure the anxiety of getting ready for a reunion...ever seen this movie for example?:


Bottom line, I think reunions should be thrown in a history box with Zack Morris cell phones. No longer needed. :)

Sincerely, Brit

2 comments:

makeupbeautygossip said...

I totally agree, I've been saying this for a while too. That's why I wasn't interested in my 5 yr at all. Great post!

PS - we wanna see pics of the blonde hair!

Erica said...

ditto!