Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bueller? Bueller?

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Anyone recognize that line? Yup…it’s from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off! A wonderful, John Hughes, 80’s classic!

I came across an article the other day on Joseph Brett, a filmmaker who decided to remake the trailer for Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. He wrote, “My aim was to make it look more like an indie coming of age film.” I think he did an AMAZING job with this remake. After watching how silly the original trailer now seems (hey..it was the 80s!) and the poor job it does of depicting the truth behind the movie, it’s really thought-provoking to see how a trailer can take any movie in any direction it wants!

I think the movie has always been pegged as a coming-of-age comedy, but I think it goes deeper, looking into the life of a teen and everything they’re thinking and going through as graduation approaches. You’ve got to admire the late Hughes’ understanding of teen angst & worry, and yet their still steadfast ability to find the fun in life through all the confusion, which is portrayed wonderfully in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I highly recommend watching if you haven’t yet seen it (have you been living under a rock!?). So many classics…dancing in the streets of downtown Chicago, Abe Froman –the Sausage King of Chicago, Edward Rooney, Bow Bow-Chika Chika!

Check out the contrasting trailers between the original (corny) and the remake in true indie fashion…would it make you want to see it today if it were new?? PS - what's with the awful music selection in the original?

Original



Remake




I leave you today with one last Ferris quote: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." -ahhh sooo knowledgable at such a young age!

Sincerely, Brit

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Fun. I like the new one much better. I think I missed the window for this movie. Perhaps I should try it again. I think I watched it too young, and now I'm probably too old. :)

Brittany Nicole said...

I agree! You should watch it again! And let me know what you think of it...I think it's enjoyable at any age...but I'd be interested to see what you think of it now! :) PS you're not too old silly!

makeupbeautygossip said...

I just caught the end of it on A&E this morning - it never gets old!!

I don't know which trailer I like more, it's hard to decide bc I've seen it so many times!