Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas & New Year's Catch Up

Hi Friends & Bloggers & Happy New Year!

Since it's been awhile since my last post, I thought I'd play catch up today on the holidays that have passed and other odds & ends.

1st Florida Christmas
We had a wonderful first Christmas here in Florida. To curb being away from family for the first time, we Skyped with my family in Maryland at 7:30 in the morning to see my niece & nephew open their gifts as well as my mom, step-dad, sister and brother-in-law (BIL). That night we Skyped with Markus's family in West Virginia then finally Skyped with my dad & step-mom in Virginia along with my sister, BIL & the kids again (they drove down after Christmas morning at my mom's). Gotta love Skype though..seriously. It felt like we were there and curbed any upset that I'm sure we would've felt missing out on the holiday family fun. So yay for that! :) And I have to say the funniest part was probably skyping my dad's house that night after everyone had had a few celebratory drinks and watching my sister & BIL busting out the song Funky Cold Medina on one of those x-box Karaoke games where you battle someone and you're rated based on your tone, range, keeping up with the lyrics..etc. HILARIOUS!

video

I love Christmas. I think I love all the time leading up to Christmas most though. It's the fun of the anticipation, because then Christmas day itself just goes by so fast. But there really is something wonderful and magical about Christmas Eve, with the tree lit, listening to Christmas music, going to church and celebrating Jesus's birthday, and knowing everyone is probably with their families waiting for Santa to come. :) I still feel like a little kid that night still going to bed filled with excitement for Christmas morning, even though now I get more joy out of watching my niece and nephew and their excitement in opening presents. Kids make it the best!

Jax also had a great 1st Christmas with us! He got his own stocking with some snacks & toys..but I think he enjoyed the wrapping paper & clothes boxes best haha. Silly dog!
I never knew cardboard could taste so good
It wasn't me!
My boys are pooped from all the fun
Loves sleeping on his new stuffed animal
New Year's Eve
As for the next holiday on the December schedule, for New Year's Eve I spent the day getting my hair done (got some caramel highlights thanks to a great salon deal last week on Groupon!) and cleaning, then that night we went to a friend of a friend's house for a BBQ/Cookout. The weather was 77 on NYE so it was a great day/night to be outside enjoying it. We had a great time and made some fun new friends which is good since we still don't know many people down here. Cornhole set up outside and beer pong inside with lots of food, snacks & drinks. And one of the guys at the party took on the role as fireworks master so we had a front row seat to those out back of the house. What I loved best about where they lived, was their cul-de-sac island and great neighbors. The whole court got together at the island in the cul-de-sac with tents, grills & lawn chairs surrounding a huge bon fire. It was awesome. Would be nice to live in a court like that! :)
Me & some of the girls
Me & Jamie - borrowing her hair flower!
Me & Markus
PS - we made Buffalo Chicken dip to take to the cookout and it was deeelish so I definitely recommend trying! I got the recipe from the Frank's Red Hot website (Recipe Here!) but I modified to use Fat Free Cream Cheese and Reduced Fat Cheese, but I did use regular Ranch because I think lite & especially fat free ranch is gross. This is so easy to make & you can serve with Tostito's, crackers or celery. YUM!

Florida Wolf Spider
I couldn't leave this out. The other night when I was walking Jax we saw this spider on the sidewalk and it freaked me out. I have severe arachnophobia but I had to run back in and get my camera to catch the sucker. It was a good size but I zoomed in on this photo so you can see it close up. PS - I later researched and it's not poisonous but it is known to resemble tarantula's...which is enough for me to dislike them. 

Florida Wolf Spider
Well that's the sum up of my past few weeks. Now that the holidays have passed I hope to be getting back to blogging more. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!

Sincerely, Brit

No comments: